Sunday 9 December 2012

See what can happen when you write a story! The Stinging Fly Night Out in the Grand Social Dublin



Hello everyone,

Please join us for a Fly Night Out this coming Tuesday (Dec 11th) upstairs in the Grand Social. Doors open at 8pm, admission is free and everyone is welcome.

We will have music from Larry Beau, short stories from Mary Costello and Claire-Louise Bennett plus poetry from Dave Lordan and Karl Parkinson.

We will also have the premiere screening of a short film by Daragh McCarthy. Underground is adapted from and inspired by an extract from a new novel by Emer Martin, which we published in our New York issue last year.

I hope to see some of you on Tuesday - and if you know anyone who might be interested, do bring them along or send them our way.

Best for now,
Declan


A NOTE ON UNDERGROUND
Daragh McCarthy is a Dublin filmmaker & musician. His most recent film, Joujouka, a documentary about the Moroccan Master Musicians of Joujouka premiered in London in November.
This is the premiere of Underground, words by Emer Martin, music, performance and film by Daragh McCarthy.
‘I was handed a copy of issue 20 of the Stinging Fly, the winter issue, in early 2012. In the contents my eyes were drawn to “Going Underground” an extract from Emer Martin’s forthcoming novel The Affection of a Hag.
I made a film about punks some years back called The Stars Are Underground and have an affection for the word. And then there are the connotations the expression had in the 70s & 80s. I’m not sure if it is possible to go underground anymore.
As I read the piece,  it felt like both excoriation and homage. It echoed what I have been feeling about Ireland myself lately and I found myself automatically speaking the words out loud.
The piece felt like it was made to be performed and as a musician I figured it should be to be set to music. I had previously mentioned the idea of writers from The Stinging Fly and musicians collaborating to Declan Meade and thought this might be the perfect opportunity to explore that concept.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment