Tuesday 15 January 2013

New post on Poethead.Paula Meehan poetry.Interesting site to visit.


Mysteries of the Home cover

Mysteries of the Home cover

‘Seed’, by Paula Meehan

by C. Murray
" The first warm day of spring
and I step out into the garden from the gloom
of a house where hope had died

to tally the storm damage, to seek what may
have survived. And finding some forgotten
lupins I’d sown from seed last autumn
holding in their fingers a raindrop each
like a peace offering, or a promise,

I am suddenly grateful and would

offer a prayer if I believed in God.
But not believing, I bless the power of seed,
its casual, useful persistence,
and bless the power of sun,

its conspiracy with the underground,
and thank my stars the winter’s ended."

'Seed' is © Paula Meehan, all rights reserved..
'Seed' is taken from the  Mysteries of the Home Compedium by Paula Meehan, which will be re-issued in February 2013 by Dedalus Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment