Please Note: While we accept entries for the Short Story Prize year-round, the contest deadline is not until fall 2013, and we will announce the winners in January 2014.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully, and let us know if you have any questions. The finalist judge will be announced in the coming months.
As with all our submissions, we highly recommend reading a copy of the magazine to better understand what we are looking for. The 2013 Short Story Prize winning story “Saturdays He Drove the Ford Pickup” by David Brendan Hopes appears in . The 2012 Short Story Prize winning story “Stories My Mother Told Me” by Nahal Suzanne Jamir appears in Ruminate’s .
- The submission deadline for the short story contest is
October 15th, 2013.
- The entry fee is $15 (includes a free copy of the Spring 2013 Issue).
- You may submit one story per contest entry fee and it must be 5500 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
- $1000 will be awarded to the winner and publication in the Spring 2013 Issue will be awarded to the winning story and runner-up story.
- A blind reading of all entries will be conducted by a panel of RUMINATE readers, who will select 10 short stories as finalists.
- Close friends and students (current & former) of the finalist judge are not eligible to compete. Nor are close friends or family of the Ruminate staff.
- All submissions must be submitted via our. We will not accept mail or email submissions. We do not accept previously published entries.
- Winners will be announced in the Spring Issue, March 2014.
- We will be notifying all entrants of submission status in mid-January, 2014.