- I’d like some poems in form please, sonnets, pantoums, ghazals, rhubaiyats etc. Give it a try.
- I like pieces that make me see something in a new light.
- Pieces I haven’t read before umpteen times.
- Pieces that are multi-layered and take time to unwind.
- Having said that, I don’t have much time for writing that is so so obtuse, so obscure, it makes me feel frustrated or plain thick. It shouldn’t take a machete to get to the point.
- Pieces that love language, love words, make me fall in love with new words
- Show me something new, show me the feeling, let me picture the image.
- Leave some gaps for me to fill in myself.
- Pieces that are honest
- Pieces that are sly
- Pieces that catch me out, make me laugh out loud
- Pieces that leave me gulping
- Pieces with a subtle turn
- Pieces that come at me from left field
- Science pieces. Love Science. And Maths
- Pieces that take risks
Wednesday, 16 April 2014
short story competitions-what judges want.Kate Dempsey for Boyne Berries
Here are some of the things I hope to find: