Wednesday 16 April 2014

short story competitions-what judges want.Kate Dempsey for Boyne Berries

Here are some of the things I hope to find:
  • I’d like some poems in form please, sonnets, pantoums, ghazals, rhubaiyats etc. Give it a try.
  • I like pieces that make me see something in a new light.
  • Pieces I haven’t read before umpteen times.
  • Pieces that are multi-layered and take time to unwind.
  • Having said that, I don’t have much time for writing that is so so obtuse, so obscure, it makes me feel frustrated or plain thick. It shouldn’t take a machete to get to the point.
  • Pieces that love language, love words, make me fall in love with new words
  • Show me something new, show me the feeling, let me picture the image.
  • Leave some gaps for me to fill in myself.
  • Pieces that are honest
  • Pieces that are sly
  • Pieces that catch me out, make me laugh out loud
  • Pieces that leave me gulping
  • Pieces with a subtle turn
  • Pieces that come at me from left field
  • Science pieces. Love Science. And Maths
  • Pieces that take risks

No comments:

Post a Comment